Are you looking for Margaret’s name meanings? Discover the meaning of the name Margaret and its origin, similar names, nicknames, variations, numerology numbers, popularity trends, and famous people with the name.
What Does Margaret Mean?
Margaret is a name with a profound and elegant meaning. It signifies “pearl,” which is a symbol of purity and beauty. The name carries an air of grace and timelessness.
What Is the Origin of the Name Margaret?
Margaret has a fascinating historical origin. It derives from the Greek name “Margarites,” which means “pearl.” The name’s association with this precious gemstone highlights its enduring beauty and value.
How Popular Is the Name Margaret?
Margaret has a rich history of popularity. It has been a beloved choice for girls for many decades, and its enduring appeal continues to make it a popular choice for modern parents.
How Do I Pronounce Margaret?
The name Margaret is pronounced as “MAR-guh-ret.” The emphasis is on the first syllable, and the name flows smoothly when spoken.
Is Margaret a Boy or Girl Name?
Margaret is traditionally a girl’s name, and it exudes femininity and sophistication. While names have become more gender-neutral in recent times, Margaret is overwhelmingly used for females.
Variations of Margaret
- Margarita: A charming variation of Margaret, Margarita is a Spanish name that also means “pearl.”
- Margarete: This German variant retains the classic sound and meaning of the name.
- Margarid: A unique spin on Margaret, Margarid has an intriguing quality and still means “pearl.”
- Marguerite: With a touch of French flair, Marguerite maintains the pearl symbolism.
- Margita: A simple yet lovely variation, Margita also means “pearl.”
- Margalit: This Hebrew variation means “pearl” and adds a cultural dimension to the name.
- Margaretha: With a touch of Swedish influence, Margaretha retains the classic meaning.
- Margreet: A Dutch variant, Margreet is a charming choice that signifies “pearl.”
- Margossian: This Armenian variant of Margaret carries a unique cultural significance.
- Margita: A Slovak variation of Margaret that adds a delightful twist while preserving the name’s meaning.
Nicknames for Margaret
- Maggie: A popular and endearing nickname derived from Margaret.
- Meg: A classic and shorter nickname that has a timeless charm.
- Marge: A familiar and friendly diminutive of Margaret.
- Maisy: A sweet and modern nickname with a unique sound.
- Rita: A spunky and stylish option as a Margaret nickname.
- Greta: A name with vintage appeal that can be derived from Margaret.
- Peggy: A traditional and endearing nickname choice.
- Marlo: A unique and modern option for a Margaret nickname.
- Daisy: A delightful and floral-inspired nickname.
- Marti: A contemporary and personalized twist on Margaret.
Similar Names to Margaret
- Katherine: A classic name that, like Margaret, exudes timeless elegance.
- Elizabeth: A name with regal charm and historical significance.
- Catherine: A name that shares a similar sound and sophistication.
- Eleanor: A name with a vintage feel and enduring popularity.
- Isabel: A lovely name that, like Margaret, has a timeless quality.
- Beatrice: A name with an old-world charm and grace.
- Charlotte: A name that combines tradition and modern appeal.
- Abigail: A classic name with a friendly and approachable vibe.
- Louisa: A name that conveys sophistication and grace.
- Virginia: A name with a touch of Southern elegance and history.
Middle Names for Margaret
- Margaret Grace: Combining the elegance of Margaret with the beauty of grace.
- Margaret Sophia: A name that blends classic and wisdom.
- Margaret Rose: A floral-inspired combination with timeless appeal.
- Margaret Elise: A name that exudes sophistication and charm.
- Margaret Claire: A combination that signifies clarity and elegance.
- Margaret Jane: A classic and timeless pairing.
- Margaret Louise: A name that combines strength and grace.
- Margaret Alice: A name that embodies both tradition and wonder.
- Margaret Victoria: A name that exudes regal elegance.
- Margaret Emily: A name that combines timeless beauty and gentleness.
Sibling Names for Margaret
- William: A classic and traditional choice for a brother.
- Eleanor: A sister name that complements Margaret’s vintage charm.
- James: A strong and timeless brotherly option.
- Charlotte: A sister name with both tradition and modern appeal.
- Henry: A name that exudes strength and heritage.
- Beatrice: A sister name that shares an old-world charm.
- John: A classic and enduring choice for a brother.
- Grace: A sister name that combines elegance and beauty.
- Thomas: A timeless and classic name for a brother.
- Isabel: A sister name that shares the timeless quality of Margaret.
Famous People Named Margaret
- Margaret Thatcher: The Iron Lady, a former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- Margaret Atwood: A renowned Canadian author famous for “The Handmaid’s Tale.”
- Margaret Mead: An influential cultural anthropologist.
- Margaret Cho: A well-known comedian and actress.
- Margaret Hamilton: The computer scientist who played a crucial role in the Apollo moon landing.
- Margaret Qualley: An accomplished actress and model.
- Margaret Sanger: A prominent birth control activist and founder of Planned Parenthood.
- Margaret Keane: A famous artist known for her distinctive big-eyed paintings.
- Margaret Court: A tennis legend with numerous Grand Slam titles.
- Margaret Brennan: A journalist and the current moderator of CBS’s “Face the Nation.”
Margaret in Popular Culture
Margaret is a name that has appeared in various forms of popular culture, from literature to film and television. It is often associated with characters who exude grace, strength, and timeless beauty.
1. What is the meaning of the name Margaret?
The name Margaret means “pearl,” symbolizing purity and beauty.
2. Is Margaret a common name?
Margaret has been a popular and enduring name for many years, making it a common choice for girls.
3. What are some famous individuals with the name Margaret?
Notable figures include Margaret Thatcher, Margaret Atwood, and Margaret Mead, among others.
**4. Are there any variations of the name Margaret?
Yes, variations include Margarita, Margarete, Marguerite, and more, all carrying the meaning of “pearl.”
5. What are some common nicknames for Margaret?
Popular nicknames include Maggie, Meg, Marge, and Rita, among others.
The name Margaret, with its timeless meaning and historical significance, continues to be a beloved choice for parents seeking a name that embodies elegance and grace. Its variations, nicknames, and famous namesakes further enrich its allure, making Margaret a name that stands the test of time.